Gratitude Series #2: 25+ Things I am Grateful For in my Life
I have said it before and I will gladly say it again, gratitude is the quickest way to achieve success! What's your gratitude practice?
If asked, can you name 15 things right now that you are grateful for? Can you name them without having to stop and think about it?
I decided to try it myself, and what I came up with surprised me. I got to 15 and just kept going. I stopped when I started slowing down and counted my list. I got to 28. I really thought coming up with this list would be easy, I expected more items to come to mind immediately.
I admit I don't practice gratitude like I used to. That is why I started the 30-day gratitude challenge. I remember feeling amazing when I did it. Lately, I've been so caught up with work and life, that I kept putting my self-care practices on the back burner. Sound familiar?
I am still in the beginning of my 30 days, on day 5 to be exact. I will repeat this activity at the end of my 30 days and see if I notice a difference in how quickly I can create my list. But for starters, here's my list.
I am grateful for:
- Living in the US
- My wonderful Hubby
- My family
- My friends
- Having a job that covers the bills and allows us to enjoy a few extras
- My experiences in the Navy
- My experiences working hotel Front Desks
- A work trip to Paris
- Dale Carnegie How to Win Friends and Influence People
- Rhonda Byrne The Secret
- Joe Cross- Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead
- Being able to afford a reliable car
- The poor credit decisions I made in my past
- My High School French teacher
- Flight benefits
- Working for an international company
- My high school Latin teacher
- Free online courses
- Ability to pay bills each month
- Having a roof over my head, in a safe place every night
- Having food in my kitchen
- The Internet
- Story of Seasons Nintendo game
- The lady in Walmart with the mobile checkout thingy
- Flossy Things
- Being a member of a community garden
Now it's your turn. Grab a pen and paper, open a blank document on your computer, or start a new memo on your phone. Now name 10 things you are grateful for without stopping. Can you name more than 10?
So many people find this task to be difficult. With regular practice, you will be able to find things to be grateful for in everyday situations. No matter how many items you list before you start to slow down, I encourage you to join the 30-day gratitude challenge. If you have trouble naming 15 things, this challenge is a critical step for your future. Looking for things to be grateful for changes how you look at the world around you. This change in perspective sets you up for success in both your personal and professional life.
After completing the 30-day challenge, I encourage you to try this activity again.
If this is your introduction to the Gratitude Series, check out Gratitude Series: #1- What is gratitude?